Post Operative Instructions For Sinus Grafting
- Please take medications prescribed. Augmentin and Medrol Dose Pak
- NO eating or drinking for 2 hours after surgery was completed.
- Do not drink alcoholic/carbonated beverages in the first 2 days.
- Do not drink through a straw or rinse the area for the first 2 days.
- DO NOT blow through your nose. This will cause pressure into the sinus. DO NOT be alarmed if you find blood in your nose. This may happen occasionally since the nose in connected directly to the sinus.
- Avoid anything that will cause you to sneeze or cough. Sneezing and coughing cause the same problem as blowing your nose. If you must sneeze or cough, do so with your mouth OPEN.
- The stitches are dissolvable and may begin to come loose in the first 48 hours following surgery.
- Light bleeding for the first 24 hours following surgery is normal.
- Once the stiches come out, you should perform oral hygiene procedures in the surgical site over the next two weeks with caution. This means brush the gum tissue with light contact. You can rinse with alcohol-free Listerine or other alcohol-free rinses, warm salt water or just water if necessary to keep area clean.
- AVOID eating hard, tough, or rough foods (chips, popcorn, nuts, caramels, steak) during the first two weeks following surgery. It is best to chew in areas of the mouth away from where the surgery was done.
- Slight amounts of discomfort and swelling are normal and to be expected following surgery. If the pain becomes severe in spite of medication, or you experience an unusual amount of swelling, call the doctor immediately.
- For pain relief, we recommend Ibuprofen, 400 mg every 6 hrs, and Tylenol, 500 mg every 6 hrs in an alternating dosage with the Ibuprofen. (i.e., alternate meds every 3 hrs. In addition, you may also need to take Sudafed, 1 tablet three times per day for three days ONLY if nose is congested.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us.
Office: 970-385-6800 – Cell: 970-739-8291