Post Operative Instructions Following Scaling and Root Planing
- Light bleeding post SRP is normal. You should see a reduction in bleeding as the day progresses.
- You may eat and drink post SRP, just be aware you are numb so exercise caution while chewing so as to not bite your lip, cheek or tongue.
- For pain relief, we recommend Ibuprofen, 400 mg every 6 hrs, and Tylenol, 500 mg every 6 hrs in an alternating dosage with the Ibuprofen. (i.e., alternate meds every 3 hrs)
- Regular hygiene procedures (use of brushing, flossing, proxybrush and waterpik) can and should be performed as normal.
- Gum tenderness is normal, this can be alleviated with warm salt water rises, OTC pain medication and avoiding the area while eating.
- Cold sensitivity is normal due to exposure of root surfaces. This should get better over time, however, it may take a couple months. Sensodyne toothpaste or something similar can help.
- Food impaction post SRP is also normal. Once the area is healed the gums may shrink resulting in a reduced pocket and open spaces. Hygiene aids such as proxy brushes can help keep these areas clean and may need to be used after every meal.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call the doctor at: